Monday, April 6, 2009

Auto In

Customer Service can be the most stressful job depending on the account you guys are handling. Believe me, I am currently working for the most pressure-causing one and it haunts me even in dreams. I am in fact on my way to thinking and completely realizing that call centre is really not the most promising, rewarding, and ideal job for me since it requires more effort on my part to absorb and negate its numerous disadvantages which includes irate customers, racism, and tedious almost endless explanations of things to a number of those who called in yet refused to understand. Contrary to these, they are way well-manageable. Pacifying yell-at-the-top-of-their0lungs customers and giving them a one-time resolution they needed are where self-achievements would set in. Just give them a time to vent in and they would bend over.
Honestly, I used to have this perception that working in this kind of industry would be the most appealing career for those of my age. I can't exactly pin point the explanation but that was how my mind used to function in relation to it; especially for someone like me who came from beating the deadliest deadline of office works, it came like a knight in shining armour to my defence.
As I write, I realized I've been attending 2am shift for more than six months now. The comfort of snooze box warmly altered the feeling of my own bedroom and my 30-minute break is surprisingly giving me grand minutiae of sleep. Sounds good! The alien had fully swallowed the predator in me. I am enticed.
"Thank you for calling *********, this is Stephanie, May I confirm who am I speaking with?", confusingly, I was able to successfully adapt to the expedited and extensive change of things in my work environment. I was amazed. It was as if I have a robotic system in me that perfectly jives and performs according to a snap of its fingers. Suddenly, my mind is blindly designed to bow down to its known highness. My heart greatly detests.
Undoubtedly, I am one of the unknown black sheep among the puppets. Well, to clarify things it was not innate. I used to be the dancing tulips that grace and glorify the floor. The inevitably twisted changes have unreasonably withered me. I was not given enough right to properly adjust to altering rules considering that they spawn like an everyday queue on my avaya. The law? Everything should efficiently happen in a jiffy...Best in class performance, so they say.
I remember a month ago, I was on the verge of calling it quits. My work mode mood was in a hiatus then. Everything seems to be spiralling out of control. The stemming new laws and regulations are morally and emotionally making me feel like a down-trodden individual in a hot seat. I could not bow down to idols, I swear! Manipulation is an art they have fully perfected through unstopping practice in disguise of us. If there is any reason why the sun still shines on the floor, it is because of the pure laughter and fun that wake me up and melt the heavy uncomfortable feeling that confronts me from my way to entrance. It is because of those people who were never clouded with the thought of fame, connections, promotions, and the damn ideals of politicking..people who would not kiss an ass because they know their worth and they achieved whatever they have achieved not merely out of "utang na loob" but rather because they deserve it. After all, we all got hired because we know and they believe in our capabilities, skills, and abilities.
Our jobs should give us not only a sense of stability but also the feeling of security...emotionally, morally. It should be able to supply us not only in a monetary way but more importantly, should provide us inner self-achievements and emotional satisfaction. This reminds me one of the facebook games (yes guys, facebook!). The game is called Metropolis. You play it in such a way that if the happiness of the people in your world decreases their happiness to a certain percentage, the industry will stop earning tax revenue anymore. How ideal! If same thing applies, a lot of companies will eventually lose their resources.
So this is how call centre operates my life. Compared to the minimum wage that the government offers, I, for now, would rather take in calls than wallow with the disappointment that the society and the government itself could not afford to give its people a more decent job. This is where brilliant minds thrive. For now, let's flock on the floor and cater the excellent customer service that we guys are trained to do. In the meantime, I would blindly believe that the future is friendly. I am at the greenest pasture...deaf, mute and blind:) Have a safe day!♥

No comments: